You want to eat healthy but still have your cake, right? Who wants to give up CHOCOLATE CAKE???!!! Well, here you go – a healthier version of a favorite! This cake is almost like a flourless cake – it’s dense and moist and rich and oh, so good!
Serves 16 small or 9 large
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup walnuts (optional)
- 2 Tbs 100% cocoa bar broken into pieces (or cacao nibs)
- 20 dates, pitted
- 2/3 cups white beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup beets, shredded
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened milk alternative (almond, hemp, coconut, etc)
Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together all dry ingredients and set aside. Puree beans, dates, vanilla, and milk. Mix in beets.
Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until just blended. This is a very thick batter – more like a brownie batter than a cake batter. Pour into an 8X8 baking dish (non-stick or glass) or 8 inch round cake pan. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes, or until done, rotating halfway through cooking time.
Allow cake to cool completely and then cut into 9 or 16 squares. Can be eaten this way or topped with ‘frosting’ below.
- 2 avocados (ripe!) (firm silken tofu can be used as an alternative)
- 6 Tbs cacao powder
- 1/2 cup date paste (or more to taste)
- 1 t vanilla
- unsweetened milk alternative of your choice
Mix in food processor or blender until really creamy. I let it just blend for a LONG time – this adds some air to it and makes it even more ‘fluffy’. Add milk as needed for desired thickness and consistency.